Human milk – full of antibacterial qualities, clearly safe for ingestion, and utterly precious and difficult to make. So what do you do if your child won’t drink expressed milk? Or if your child bit you, and you want to nurse on that side but need a little help healing? Or maybe your child has a little rash or baby acne and you want to apply some topical treatment, but don’t want to express out the drops any time you see a bump.
I always thought making plain white lotion was difficult, magical, and required a factory of chemicals. Not so! Just a little bit of human milk, grapeseed oil, beeswax, and vitamin e oil come together into a babysafe healing lotion in a matter of minutes, with nothing more than what you already have in your kitchen. It lasts up to 3 months in a cool, dark place.
To mix it up, you will need:
- human milk, room temperature
- grapeseed oil*
- vitamin E capsule
- fork (longer tines are better)
- heatproof glass container with lid
- mini measuring cup (ounces / mL)
- teaspoon or tablespoon
- microwave or double boiler
*you can infuse the grapeseed oil with a culinary-grade herb first if desired to create a scent or customize the healing qualities. Chamomile and lavender are soothing and antibacterial, and cloves are numbing.
For a small batch, use
- 30 mL / 1 ounce grapeseed oil
- 30 mL / 1 ounce human milk
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- ½ vitamin E capsule
For a large batch, use
- 100 mL / 3 ounces grapeseed oil
- 100 mL / 3 ounces human milk
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- vitamin E capsule
Your human milk must be at room temperature. (Milk can be expressed and safely left at room temperature for 6 hours.)
In a heatproof container, add grapeseed oil and shaved or small pieces of beeswax.
- If using a doubleboiler, gently increase heat around the container until the beeswax is melted, then remove. It may need to be stirred or swirled.
- If using a microwave, warm for 30 seconds, check, and if necessary microwave again. The container should remain handleable. Swirl gently and microwave in 30 second increments every couple of minutes until beeswax is melted.
Add the vitamin E oil and stir with a fork. Continue stirring and whisking briskly as you slowly pour in the milk. It will immediately emulsify and continue to thicken.
Let cool a couple hours to complete thickening. It will harden further in the fridge (if desired).